Tuesday, March 5, 2013

LOGICAL PROOF THAT GOD TRUELY EXISTS -THE WAGER




FIG. G
                                                    
                              GOD EXISTS        GOD DOES NOT EXIST  
                    I BELIEVE IN HIM          I DO NOT BELIEVE IN HIM

Assuming logical reasoning itself cannot decide for or against the existence of God: there seem to be good reasons on both sides of the argument. Now since reason cannot decide for sure, and since the question is of such importance that we must decide somehow, then we must “wager” if we cannot prove. And so we are asked: where are you going to place your bet? If you place it with God, you lose nothing , even if it turns out that God does not exist. But if you place it against God, and you are wrong and God does exist, you lose everything: God, eternity, heaven, infinite gain. By assessing the two cases: if you win, you win everything, if you lose, you lose nothing. Consider the above diagram   FIG.G the vertical lines represents correct beliefs, the diagonal represents incorrect beliefs. Let us compare the diagonals, Suppose God does not exist and I believe in Him :In that case what awaits me after death is not eternal life but, mostly, eternal nonexistence . But now take the other diagonal: God, my creator and the source of all good, does exist: but I do not believe in Him. He offers me His love and His life, and I reject it. I reject the fulfillment of my deepest desires. In that case, I lose everything
The Wager may seem offensive, selfish but can be reformulated to appeal to a higher moral motive :if there is a God of infinite goodness, and he justly deserves our allegiance and faith and I will be doing myself the greatest  injustice by not acknowledging  Him. This Wager does not and cannot coerce belief : it is an   incentive  for us to search God, to study and restudy the arguments that seek to show that there is something- or someone- who is the ultimate explanation of life in all it’s dimensions . It should motivate the skeptic to at least pray ‘ God if you exist help me find you’
There are three kinds of people: 1] those who have sought God and found Him,2] those who are seeking and have not found Him3] those who neither seek nor find. The first are reasonable and happy, the second are reasonable but unhappy, the third are both unreasonable and unhappy. ALL WHO SEEK SHALL FIND AND BE HAPPY. Mt 7:7-8
7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Rv 3:2” Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me”.

No comments:

Post a Comment